After having such a great experience opening our first original concept in Longmont, The Roost, a craft casual American restaurant, bar and venue, we were so excited to find another great downtown location for our second restaurant. We created Jefes Tacos & Tequila at 246 Main Street, Longmont, Colorado in April of 2016.
Chef/Owner Sean Gafner was raised on a farm in California where his comfort food came from great taco trucks and small Mexican restaurants. Jefes was born out of this deep love for authentic Mexican food as well as a passion for fresh, local, sustainable ingredients prepared in a unique way. Our Menu boasts of great seafood like wild Hawaiian yellowfin tuna, Dungeness crab, wild Pacific snapper & bay shrimp as well as beef and pork raised on a local, organic ranch right here in Longmont by Clint & Mary Kay Buckner.
Jefes’ bar program also combines the authentic with the modern by seeking out over 100 amazing tequila and mezcals and serving them with care and expertise. Customers can sample neat pours by ordering a flight or try them in one of our original signature cocktails. Jefes has 16 draft beer lines pouring incredible local beers as well as imported Mexican favorites.
Another ingredient unique to Jefes is that we’re always bangin’ a great mix of old school hip hop, so you may acquire a new skill of eating tacos while bobbing your head!
Sean & Rebecca Gafner
Since their very first visit, the Gafner’s quickly fell in love with the city of Longmont and couldn’t be more excited to put some roots down in the beautiful state of Colorado!
The same as with our other restaurants, The Roost and Smokin Bowls, Jefes is committed to giving a minimum of 10% of all profits directly to local non profits. All three restaurants also give 10% of all profits back to our staff through cash bonuses.
Our Core Values
“these values are not optional, they are expected” – Sean Gafner
1. “YES” is the answer – now what was the question? We take pride in saying “yes” to our guest, even when we aren’t able to fulfill their exact request there is always a way to say “no” with a “yes” attitude. We are a “yes” restaurant!
example: “yes, lobster mac & cheese does sound delicious, let me go as our chef what we can do…so, we don’t have lobster but could make a delicious shrimp mac & cheese”
2. Professionalism – Interact with our guest as though their opinion of the restaurant and our reputation is entirely based on you because it often is. Don’t speak with them like they are your friends, rather find a way to connect with them authentically while avoiding unprofessional slang.
example: if you feel the need to get down to eye level with a guest, squat next to the table, don’t ever take a seat next to them
3. Honor – Choose to honor everyone at all times; this includes guests, co-workers and management. It takes all of us to create the culture of honor that we all enjoy being a part of.
example: if a cook misses a modifier on a dish, instead of getting down on them, own it yourself and say, “I’m sorry, I should have followed up with this modification, but can you please remake one without….”
4. Teamwork – This means that everybody’s station is your station when you’re in it, and personal feelings shall never interfere with performing this way. If we all fight for each other we all win together, and life is more enjoyable for everybody.
example: when you’re walking through the dining room, you’re always looking for a drink you can refill or a dirty dish you can remove from a table, especially when it’s “not your table”
5. Self-Motivation – You are expected to continually grow your product knowledge and service skills, beyond the training you receive from us. We’re always either getting better or getting worse; there’s no such thing as staying the same.
example: do a bit of your own research and learn something about the Buckner Family, who raises all of our meat, and after you’ve learned it share it with fellow staff members
6. Sustainability – As a company we’re committed to making sustainable choices that reduce energy use, water waste and landfill waste. We purchase product as locally possible in order to reduce the emissions caused by packing and shipping (trucks, trains & planes); this also supports local families and strengthens our local economy. We only purchase Energy Star appliances. We are committed to reducing single use plastics in every way we can find.
example: we’ve replaced all disposables with compostable options (trash bags, straws, to go containers, plastic ramekins, takeout bags, etc.).
7. Generosity – We give away 30% of all profits. We give 10% towards families in the process of adoption through Colorado Kids Belong. We give 10% towards sponsoring a wide array of local events and fundraisers. We give 10% of profits directly back to our staff as cash bonuses and gifts. (we also love to close down twice/year to throw sweet parties for our staff!)
It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and to administer all aspects and conditions of employment without regard to the following:
- Sexual orientation
- Gender identity
- National origin
- Genetic information, including family medical history
- Physical or mental disability
- Child or spousal support withholding
- Wage garnishment for consumer debt
- Lawful activity outside of work
- Military or veteran status
- Arrest or sealed conviction records
- Marriage to a co-employee
- Civil Air Patrol membership
- Credit report or credit information
- Citizenship and/or immigration status
- Any other protected class, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws
We take allegations of discrimination, intimidation, harassment and retaliation very seriously and will promptly conduct an investigation when warranted. Equal employment opportunity includes, but is not limited to, employment, training, promotion, demotion, transfer, leaves of absence and termination.
2019 Best Margarita – Best of Boulder County
2019 Best Mexican in Longmont – Best of Boulder County
2019 Best Margarita – Times Call
2018 Best Margarita in Longmont-Times Call Readers Choice Awards
2018 Best Margarita & Best Mexican Restaurant-Best of Boulder County
2017 Best Margarita in Longmont-Best of Boulder County
2016 Best New Business in Longmont-Longmont Chamber of Commerce